Today is National Mesothelioma Awareness Day.
Now, what is that? It is a completely preventable cancer caused by asbestos, which is in our HOMES. Although it provides resistance to fires and temperature extremes, if you breathe it in, it can cause abnormal growth in your lungs, heart and the lining of the abdomen. About 3 thousand people get it each year.
I still remember that when I was younger and my parents were selling the old house, after going through a house inspection, apparently we had asbestos in our attic. It is a common product used when building homes (like lead in paint!). Immediately it had to get removed so the next homeowner can be safe.
Here are some more facts.
DID YOU KNOW?
- ASBESTOS IS STILL NOT BANNED IN THE US. Roughly 30 million pounds are still used each year.
- Asbestos fibers are invisible to the naked eye.
- Even more than 30 years after the peak of its use, asbestos exposure is still the NUMBER ONE cause of occupational cancer in the US.
- Asbestos can still be found in many homes, schools, and commercial or industrial buildings.
- Asbestos was once used in more than 3,000 consumer products including household items such as toasters and hair dryers – some of which may still be in use.
- Navy Veterans are at the greatest risk to develop mesothelioma as asbestos was widely used in Naval ships and shipyards.
- NO AMOUNT of exposure to asbestos is safe.
Get the word out!!